Tuesday, 9 June 2009

Silver Bandit: Blane Nordahl




Last weekend's episode of On The Run was one of the best things I've seen on television in a long time. It was about a guy from New Jersey with a mustache who loved his mama, his cats, and other people's sterling silverware. 

The guy was amazing. He got away with stealing millions of dollars worth of silverware but only kept 10% of the profits and let the dealers keep the other 90%. Then he would use that 10% to financially help out whichever dope addicted girl he was dating at the time.  His career was remarkable considering that he learned most of his stuff by studying "how-to" videos and books. In fact, his victims included Ivana Trump and Bruce Sprigsteen.  

Not to commend grand robbery, but the way he was portrayed on the show, it was almost heartwarming to see how passionate and determined the guy was. He only stole silverware and was not interested in anything else -- the reason being sentimental value from growing up with a waitress mother and artist father, according to the investigators.  So basically, he was doing it for love and when you watch the show you'll want to secretly route for him and can't wait to hear about his next job after he gets out of prison in 2011.  

He was also a romantic as he had two cats, one named Romeo and one named Juliet.

Pictured above is a still of when the Silver Bandit was chased down by cops after shopping for tupperware.


You can watch the show here: http://www.discoveryhd.ca/shows/videolist.aspx?sid=33
And hopefully it will load.


Otherwise you can watch this one which is not as good but will suffice:


*Note: The items pictured at the top of the post are not actual things the silver bandit stole but they are awesome nonetheless, except for the table. The Inspector Closeau Moustache Necklace can be purchased at The Magic Pony in Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment